"I, with a deeper instinct, choose a man who compels my strength, who makes enormous demands on me, who does not doubt my courage or my toughness, who does not believe me naïve or innocent, who has the courage to treat me like a woman."

Monday, September 21, 2009

The Black Conscience Day




November 20th is Black Conscience Day in Brazil and is remembered as the one on which ZUMBI, a black slave hero who fought in the 1690s against the colonizers, died.

Official history has selected May 13th, the day when Princess Isabel signed the Lei Áurea (Abolition of Slavery Law), as the symbolic mark of the end of slavery in this country. However, black movements have selected November 20th, the day of Zumbi’s death, as Black Conscience Day.

The celebration of Black Conscience Day started in 1978, on the initiative of the Unified Black Movement (MNU), a political organization against racial discrimination.

A historic reflection of the Negro’s plight for freedom and justice, created and performed by the kids in our programme.

You can imagine the suffering of generations of our African brothers and sisters! But has anything really changed?

1 comment: